The Q&A question box is where you type your question using natural language. Q&A recognizes the words you type and figures out where (which dataset) to find the answer. Q&A also helps you form your question with auto-completion, restatement, and other textual and visual aids.
Now we seen what we can do with it:
Ask Ask Ask
- Place your cursor in the question box. Even before you start typing, Q&A displays a new screen with suggestions to help you form your question, this list contains: the questions used to create tiles that are already pinned to the dashboard, and the name of tables in the underlying dataset(s).
- Select from the dropdown or begin typing your own question.
- Q&A picks the best visualization to display your answer; and the visualization changes dynamically as you modify the question. and Power BI looks for an answer in any dataset that has a tile on that dashboard.
- When you’re happy with the result, pin the visualization to a dashboard by selecting the pin icon in the top right corner.
Create featured question
If you own a dataset, you can add your own featured questions to that dataset. And Power BI Q&A will show those questions to colleagues who use your dataset. Featured questions give your colleagues ideas about the types of questions they can ask about the dataset.
- Select the Q&A question box.
- select the gear icon in the top right corner of Power BI.
- Select Settings > Datasets > Retail Analysis sample > Featured Q&A Questions.
Select Add a question.
- Type your question in the text box and select Apply. Optionally, add another question by selecting Add a question.
- Navigate back to the Power BI dashboard, and place your cursor in the Q&A question box.
- The new featured question, is first in the list. Select it.
And for on-premises data?
If you’d like to use Q&A with datasets you access through a gateway, you’ll need to enable them first.Once enabled, Power BI creates an index of your data source and uploads a subset of that data to Power BI to enable asking questions.
- In the upper-right corner of Power BI, select the cog icon and choose Settings.
- Select datasets and choose the dataset to enable for Q&A.
- Expand Q&A and Cortana, select the checkbox for Turn on Q&A for this dataset and choose Apply.
We have several limitations:
- is only available on sql server 2016 on premises data source
- Q&A works only with enterprise gateway
- Is not supported row level security defined in sql server 2016 SSAS